Boise State University, powered by creativity and innovation, stands uniquely positioned in the Northwest as a metropolitan research university of distinction. Learn more about Boise State and the City of Boise at https://www.boisestate.edu/about/boise-and-beyond/. Boise State University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, staff, students, and academic program offerings and to strengthening sensitivity to diversity throughout the institution. Boise State University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer, and members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply. We are a welcoming campus that supports diversity and inclusion.
Job Summary/Basic Function:
Boise State University invites applicants to apply for a tenure-track position at the rank of Assistant Professor within the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry. We seek candidates with teaching and research emphases in analytical or physical chemistry. Strong candidates will contribute to transdisciplinary graduate programs, foster collaborative research both within and outside of the department, and play an active role in building a diverse and inclusive environment in our dynamic and growing department, affiliated graduate programs, and the university. The successful candidate will develop an externally-funded research program, teach both graduate and undergraduate level courses and mentor undergraduate, Master's, and Ph.D. students in research.
This position supports the University's mission of providing student-centered, quality education and is committed to the success of our students and the university. This involves teaching effectiveness, professional development, research and scholarly/creative activities, institutional service, professional and community service, student advising and involvement, and supervisory responsibilities as assigned.
The Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry offers a Bachelor's and Master of Science degrees in Chemistry. The department's vision is to "Promote student success through excellence in chemistry." We realize this vision by providing exceptional student research experiences and a curriculum that includes developing critical thinking skills, independent research projects, instrumentation training, exceptional laboratory practices, and mastery of scientific writing.
As a Carnegie R2 ranked institution (Ph.D. granting, high research activity), we are dedicated to increasing high impact research. Our faculty members conduct research in areas such as drug discovery, medicinal chemistry & medical devices, cosmochemistry, prebiotic chemistry, archaeological science, computational chemistry, enzymology and enzyme mechanisms, RNA and protein chemistry, and polymer chemistry. Our faculty members participate and mentor Ph.D. graduate students in transdisciplinary programs including Materials Science and Engineering, Biomolecular Sciences, Biomedical Engineering, Computing, and Systems Engineering (planned).
We are committed to a culture goal of "Work in a department that embraces a team spirit of cooperation and respect for all." Please visit this website to learn about our department and faculty: https://www.boisestate.edu/chemistry/.
The Assistant Professor is a member of the ranked faculty with an entry-level academic rank who has demonstrated achievement in the areas of teaching; research, scholarship, or creative activities; institutional and professional service appropriate to the discipline and is eligible for tenure.
- Supports the University's mission of providing student-centered, quality education.
- Committed to the success of our students and the university. Committed to student learning, retention, persistence, and completion.
- Engage in development of new and creative instructional materials, including new courses and programs of studies.
- Assist in keeping the curriculum of the program(s) current.
- Assist with the departmental assessment efforts and plan.
- Direct culminating activities for undergraduate and graduate students.
- Establish a nationally and internationally reputation for scholarly excellence.
- Build and maintain an externally funded research program.
- Mentor students and researchers.
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed literature.
- Align research program with University and Department strategic plan.
- Comply with University regulatory policies concerning grants and research.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Participate actively in assignments necessary to advance the service and/or outreach missions of the department, college, and University, such as serving as a member of department, college, and/or university committees or councils.
- Participate actively in professional organizations and perform professional functions such as serving on committees and in leadership roles; as chair, panelist, and discussant at conferences; on editorial boards; refereeing manuscripts and grant applications; and serving on panels for funding agencies.
- Meet administrative deadlines set by the University for carrying out service responsibilities.
In accordance with discipline and departmental standards and expectations:
- Oral and written communication skills.
- Meet required attendance and submission deadlines.
- Ability to create, articulate, and assess course learning outcomes.
- Effectiveness in creating engaging, student-centered course materials.
- Ability to work effectively with diverse populations.
- Manage effective, friendly, and civil working relationships with staff, faculty, students, alumni, guests, and others at the university.
Ph.D. Chemistry or related field.Preferred Qualifications:
Salary and Benefits:
- Postdoctoral or equivalent experience in analytical chemistry, physical chemistry, or related discipline.
- Scholarly creativity and independence as demonstrated by a strong record of publication and evidence of extramural funding (as described in the research statement and curriculum vitae).
- Teaching and/or mentoring and interest in using evidence-based instructional practices (as demonstrated in the teaching statement).
- Demonstrated commitment to student success, especially for students who, historically, have not been well served by higher education.
Salary will be commensurate with education and qualifications. Opportunities exist to earn supplemental salary from research funding during the summer months. Boise State University is committed to offering a benefits package that provides health and financial protection plans as well as resources to promote health and well-being. Our program provides flexibility so you can choose the benefits that are right for you and your family. Learn more about our benefit options at https://hrs.boisestate.edu/benefits/. Required Application Materials: Note: This position is open until a sufficient pool of qualified candidates is established
Please attach to your application a single file that contains the items below.
This position is open until a sufficient pool of qualified candidates has been established.Advertised:
- Cover letter that explicitly states the candidate's potential contributions to the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry and identifies potential collaborators in Chemistry, Materials Science and Engineering, Biomolecular Sciences, and/other programs on campus.
- Curriculum vitae, which includes employment history (including dates of employment), experience with grant writing, publications, courses taught, leadership roles and responsibilities, mentorship of students, and professional activities including service.
- Statement of teaching philosophy (one page maximum) -- a description of courses you can teach and develop, including how you will implement modern pedagogical practices.
- Statement of research plans (five page maximum) -- including a list of potential funding sources and outline how the research plan will integrate into transdisciplinary fields. Applicants are encouraged to specifically describe how their research aligns with the Chemistry, Materials Science and Engineering, and/or Biomolecular Sciences graduate programs, the Center of Biomedical Research Excellence (COBRE) in Matrix Biology, or other disciplines at Boise State.
- Statement of Diversity (one page maximum) -- a description of how the candidate's research program and teaching philosophy would address Boise State University's diversity and inclusion goals.
- A list of three professional references and their contact information.
- Transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate coursework.
September 27, 2021 Mountain Daylight Time Applications close:
This job has expired.