SGS is the world's leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 89,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 2,600 offices and laboratories around the world.
In general, the Assistant Scientist, Biologics is responsible for performing analytical testing and analysis of biopharmaceutical drug substance, drug products, and raw materials, as well as assisting other Analysts in the completion of their tasks. General duties essential to an orderly, efficient and prepared Analytical laboratory will also be applicable to this position. A person at the Assistant Scientist, Biologics level may be asked to participate in the preparation and review process for laboratory SOPs and forms/worksheets. Overall, this position presents the employee with an opportunity to play a key customer service role in the company while simultaneously learning the technical skills required to advance in the field of pharmaceutical analysis.
1. Perform analyses in one or more of the following analytical areas to ensure turnaround times are met, and that the work is performed safely and to the specified quality standards under the supervision of Scientists and/or the Biophysical Team Leader: Circular Dichroism, Fourier Transform Infra-red Spectroscopy, Sedimentation Velocity Analytical Ultracentrifugation, Size Exclusion Multi-Angle Light Scattering, Fluorescence, Dynamic Light Scattering and Ultraviolet-Visible Absorption Spectroscopy.
2. Support for provision of the service-e.g. equipment maintenance, record keeping, housekeeping, etc.-in order to maintain all equipment in full working order and keep all records up to date.
3. Assist Senior Analysts with complex analytical studies -. Prepare chemical solutions and perform detailed and complex analytical procedures (e.g., digestions, purifications, buffer exchanges, etc) following SOP's and established test Protocols.
4. Interpretation of data obtained from biochemical/chemical analysis
5. Report writing
6. Prepare chemical solutions and perform detailed and complex analytical procedures (e.g., digestions, purifications, buffer exchanges, etc) following SOP's and established test Protocols.
7. Receipt of incoming materials
8. Other laboratory tasks as needed
1. All of the above performed to cGMP following US FDA and EU guidelines
2. Preparation and review of SOPs
• Excellent communication skills (oral and written).
• Able to interact effectively with persons from various diverse backgrounds.
• Able to cooperate well with others and work as part of a team.
• Able to follow directions well.
Qualifications"In the course of employment, you will be required to travel to and/or work at a client site. The company requires employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19 in order to travel commercially and many clients require visitors performing work at their locations to be vaccinated. Therefore, this role requires a candidate who is fully vaccinated or will be prior to an anticipated start date. The successful candidate will be required to provide proof of having received a COVID-19 vaccination.The company will provide a reasonable accommodation upon request after an offer is extended."QualificationsEducation and Experience
- Execute and perform testing as per methods, following the company's Standard Operating Procedures, Deviations and Change Control programs, and cGMP guidelines as required by client submissions.
- Duties here include preparation for testing by using good time management skills for each assigned task, such as confirming availability of resources (standards, equipment, etc.) and adequacy of testing documentation, proper application of test procedures, proper technique for data capture and recording, and preparation of the final report of analysis.
- Ability to execute method verifications, validations, transfers based on signed protocols with supervision.
- Perform routine and more complex analysis/testing of pharmaceutical and biopharmaceutical finished products and raw materials.
- Record data in timely manner.
- Strictly follows the latest approved version of methods, SOPs, QA manuals unless authorized by Department Manager and/or Group/Scientific Leader in writing.
- Record findings in standardized format, keeping all records and analyst note book in good order.
- Ensure that all reasonable client requests pertaining to the conduct of a given test are met in a timely and ultimately efficient manner.
- Ensure that all client requests for information pertaining to analytical testing (or any of SGS other services) are passed on to appropriate company personnel in a timely and effective manner.
- Ensure that routine testing submitted by clients is completed within established parameters governing turnaround time and quality-of-work expectations.
- Participation in departmental and/or company-wide projects designed to improve the nature of SGS client services.
- Work as a team with other scientists and communicate effectively with peers and superiors.
- Prioritize, schedule and plan daily work in order to maintain efficient work flow to assure completion of scheduled tasks and to meet established due dates.
- Report and Assist in the failure investigations as instructed.
- Ensure that equipment are maintained in good order; perform calibrations and qualifications as required.
- With supervision, prepare study protocols, study reports, forms and SOP's.
- Prepare and standardize Test solutions, Standard solutions and Volumetric solutions.
- Assist in the resolution of routine technical problems.
- Perform additional assigned lab duties and periodically update Department Manager and/or Group/Scientific Leader on the status.
- Maintain clean and organized workbench area ensuring spills are immediately cleaned; disposal is according to laboratory procedures, glassware is appropriately handled and lab solutions are replaced.
- Show initiative in completing work orders and providing solutions for effective lab performance
- Constantly look for ways to improve analytical techniques, documentation and daily work duties.
- Conduct trouble shooting where testing/analytical failures occur in liaison with Group/Scientific Leader and designate.
- Inform the Department Manager and/or Group/Scientific Leader, as far in advance as possible, if the assigned work order cannot be satisfactorily completed within established scheduled time and quality of work expectations.
- Adheres to internal standards, policies and procedures.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Licenses and CertificationsKnowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Bachelors degree in Biochemistry, Chemistry, Biology, or equivalent (Required)
- Language Skills: English (Required)
- Reasoning Skills/Abilities: Intermediate (Required)
- Mathematical Skills: Intermediate (Preferred)
Physical Demands of the Job
- Computer Skills: Proficiency with standard office computer equipment (Required)
This job has expired.
- Stand: Occasionally
- Move or traverse: Occasionally
- Sit: Occasionally
- Use hands: Occasionally
- Reach with hands and arms: Occasionally
- Climb or balance: Occasionally
- Stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl: Occasionally
- Talk/hear: Occasionally
- Taste/Smell: Occasionally
- Lift/carry/push or pull: Occasionally < =5 kg