The Cashier reports to the Office Manager. The Cashier is responsible for interacting with customers to provide clarification on questions regarding pricing, accepted materials, services provided, and payment for in-bound material while ensuring that all of his/her efforts are compliant with the company Health, Safety, and Environmental standards. The Cashier may also issue payment by cash or check, as well as receipts, tickets, or change due to customers. The Cashier should possess knowledge of basic mathematics and computers, as well as principles and processes for providing customer service.
This position operates within well defined parameters. The primary goal of this position is to achieve excellence in all facets of the position. Providing the highest quality product safely, effectively and efficiently decreases accidents and errors and increase profits.
Environmental and Health & Safety (H&S)
Operational Performance & Best Business Practices
- Strictly adheres to all Metals Recycling Business Health, Safety, and Environmental standards.
- Provides a safe environment for all employees, customers and visitors.
Specific Other Responsibilities (Regional, by Location, Compliance):
- Assist current and potential customers with questions regarding the pricing of materials and types of material accepted, and maintain account contacts to promote customer service on a regular basis.
- Communicate scrap quality and acceptance procedures to customers, and ensure strict compliance with current regulations and policies.
- Coordinate with office personnel to ensure accurate and timely documentation of all purchasing transactions, and enter all data in to SAI.
- Track and reconcile purchases, bids and settlements, and accounts payable, and post checks, balance, and close transactions.
- Process outbound Bills of Lading for freight.
- Provide administrative support to the Accounting and Finance departments as it relates to maintaining payment records, invoices, balance sheets, and other documents as required.
May be needed to provide backup Truck Scale Operations including:
- Coordinate with office personnel to ensure accurate and timely documentation of all purchasing transactions.
- Conduct scale operations and evaluate incoming products: identify contents of each load, operate the incoming scale to determine weight, and direct customers to appropriate areas for unloading.
- Operate outgoing scale: identify commodity codes, and compute tickets total for payment
PLEASE NOTE: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required.
- High School diploma or GED Certification preferred.
- Minimum of 1 to 2 years of experience in a similar role or scrap industry preferred.
- Ability to develop and maintain constructive and cooperative working relationships with customers and other employees required.
- Mathematical and problem solving skills, basic negotiation skills, attention to detail, and basic typing skills required
All U.S. applicants must be 18 years of age or older and all Canada applicants must be 16 years of age or older.
Schnitzer Steel Industries, Inc. participates in e-verify for all U.S. new hires.
An offer of U.S. employment by Schnitzer Steel Industries, Inc. or any of its subsidiaries is contingent on the satisfactory completion of a post-offer drug screen and background check and credit check (if position specified).
All new hires must review and sign an Arbitration Agreement. This applies to all U.S. non-union employees.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Schnitzer Steel Industries, Inc. does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, marital status, disability status, national origin or ancestry, veteran status, age, prior industrial injury, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other protected status under local, state or federal law.
This job has expired.