Opticians are responsible for selling eyewear and eyewear accessories to patients. They ensure patients are fitted with the right-size frames that fit their needs and lifestyle and dispense lenses with correct prescription and measurements. Opticians are at the heart of our business. Their technical and customer service skills ensure patient satisfaction and repeat business.
Duties & Responsibilities
* Delivers extraordinary experience to each and every patient. Provides patients with a complete understanding of our customized recommendations for products and services.
* Develops own clientele from providing outstanding service and obtaining referrals.
* Keeps current on company/industry products and procedures, manufacturer rebates, and types of lenses and frames available.
* Takes and returns patient calls, updating patients on the status of their order and resolving order issues should they arise. Escalates any issues with the Store Manager, as necessary.
* Retrieves patient charts and electronic health records.
* Assists patients in selecting frames, lens type, and lens treatments including tints and coatings; depending on specific patient needs and facial measurements.
* Educates patients on proper eyeglass and contact lens care.
* Collect eye and face measurements to ensure proper fit.
* Interprets prescriptions written by optometrist and ophthalmologist.
* Creates work orders for lab technicians, specifying information on lenses needed.
* Follows-up on all pending orders. Verifies all orders are within the time guidelines given and informs patients of status if delays occur. Notifies patient when orders arrive from lab/manufacturer.
* Dispenses glasses by inspecting the product, checking for proper fit, adjusting if necessary, and asking for feedback.
* Adjusts eyewear to ensure visual acuity, proper fit, and patient comfort. Using various tools, performs eyewear adjustments and repairs.
* Proficient in using tools such as pupilometers, PD Sticks, lensometers, pliers, wrenches, frame warmers, etc.
* Regularly communicates with technicians and/or store managers, providing additional patient information, or asking for an order status.
* Inspects the final product ensuring there are no flaws; Cleans and polishes lenses using cloths and solvents.
* Cleans and organizes frame boards, displays, mirrors, work bench, office area, bathroom, and breakroom, maintaining overall cleanliness and visual appeal of the store.
* Restocks retail boards with new merchandize.
* Understands product issues and analyzes any problems. Thoroughly and accurately answers patients' questions regarding insurance, warranty, products, materials, services, pricing, upgrades, promotions, etc.
* Collaborates with technicians, front desk associates, Managers, and Optometrist.
* Sells miscellaneous products such as cleaners, contact lens supply, sunglasses, safety glasses, etc.