Any qualified individual with a disability who is having difficulty in completing an application because of incompatible technology or other disability-related application issues may contact us at the following phone number for assistance: 251-445-1932.
Austal shall abide by the requirements of 41 CFR §§ 60-1.4(a), 60-300.5(a) and 60-741.5(a). These regulations prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin. Moreover, these regulations require that covered prime contractors and subcontractors take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status or disability. Austal's commitment to equal employment opportunity applies at all levels of employment, in all job titles, including the executive level, and to all employment actions, including but not limited to decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, training, and promotion.
REPORTS TO: Crane and Rigging Manager
AUTHORITIES / RESPONSIBILITIES:
QUALIFICATIONS / KNOWLEDGE / EXPERIENCE:
- Must be technically proficient in tasks, work processes, and safe equipment operation
- Accountable for completion of daily work assignments including the completion and signatures for work completion and quality
- Actively participate in the continuous development of a work environment that is within parameters of industry accepted safety mandated priorities.
- Must be willing to work any shift
- Must maintain cleanliness and organization on assigned job sites
- Must be able select and attach to load proper lifting gear required to safely and efficiently perform duties of crane operation
- Participate in continuous practical training of less experienced fellow craftsmen
- May be assigned tasks that are outside the normal craft requirements
- Must demonstrate the ability to apply practices that satisfy regulatory requirements and/or industry wide established guidelines to carry out instructions or directions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Also will be expected to be able to identify and then resolve small problems which arise while carrying out day-to-day tasks
- Will conduct daily pre-operational inspection of all machinery including cranes, SPMTs, and forklifts, identifying maintenance needs.
- 3 years minimum work experience as an overhead crane operator in a shipyard environment or similar industry
- Experience as an operator of vertical lift and telescopic boom F/L's
- Must meet all the physical requirements specified by ASME B30.2
- Ability to follow specific instructions and work with limited supervision
- Must possess a thorough knowledge of equipment used in crane/rigging operations. To include, but not limited to, slings, shackles, clamps, chain hoists, load cells, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to interpret and utilize load charts
- Must have a thorough knowledge of USA Standard hand signals
- Must be able to utilize required personal protective equipment [PPE] as per OSHA standards
- Must be able to respond to verbal and audible sounds/commands
- Must be able to read and comprehend simple instructions, correspondence and memos
- Must be able to effectively present information in one-on-one or small group situations
- Experience in operating RT/truck cranes
- Certification as an RT/truck crane operator
- Experience as a bull rigger
- Familiarity with load/tension testing processes
- Experience in programming, configuration, and operation of SPMTs
Will be expected to acquire basic tools on a list to be provided by the Crane/Rigging ManagerDIRECTION EXERCISED:
Production Department Supervisors and Foremen, Health, Safety and Environmental representativesADDITIONAL GUIDELINES:
- Candidates must meet the following employment eligibility guidelines to be considered for employment with Austal USA:
- 18 years of age or older at time of application.
- Able to provide proof of US Person Status
- No felony convictions of Theft/Deception or Violent crimes within seven years of disposition date.
- No felony convictions of Drug crimes within three years from disposition date.
- Willing to submit to a drug screen
- Willing to submit to a background check
- Must be Fully Vaccinated for COVID-19
The physical demands described here are representative of those that an employee must be able to satisfy in order to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Must be able to tour all vessels and work sites.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, use hands to manipulate, handle, or feel, reach with hands and arms, climb and balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit.
Specific physical requirements include the following:
- Must have the ability to bend, squat, stoop, crawl, and kneel.
- Perform prolonged standing.
- Ability to turn head from side to side and about the vertical axis.
- Ability to turn body at the waist from side to side and about the vertical axis.
- Lift/push/pull 50lbs to 75lbs on an occasional basis.
- Lift/push/pull up to 20lbs on a frequent basis.
- Must have the ability to climb in a safe manner (climbing as a minimum includes stairs, scaffolding, ladders, and ramps).
- Ability to work at heights above 12' while working from ladders, scaffolding and/or man lifts.
- Able to work at a variety of levels (ex. waist, eye, overhead).
- Demonstrate the ability to make use of required tools and equipment in a safely appropriate manner.
- Demonstrate good balance while working on uneven surfaces and maneuvering obstacles.
- Possess sufficient handgrip and coordination to carry and operate tools and equipment.
- Ability to utilize personal protective equipment (hardhat, safety glasses, steel-toes shoes, goggles, respirator, safety harness, safety line, flotation gear, etc.) safely per OSHA standards.
- Ability to withstand cold and hot temperatures.
- Ability to enter 18" x 36" openings and work in confined spaces for prolonged intervals of time.
- Able to respond to verbal and audible sounds/commands.
- Able to utilize adequate visual skills.
- Ability to achieve full arm extension while reaching overhead, reaching out, reaching to the side, and reaching down.
- Ability to perceive attributes of an object/material such as size, shape, temperature and texture by means of receptors in the hands and fingers.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee should expect to encounter exposure to humid conditions, bright flashing lights, moving mechanical parts, high precarious places, outside weather conditions, and extreme heat. The employee should expect to encounter, on occasion, exposure to fumes and/or airborne particles at or below the PEL, toxic or caustic chemicals, and heat and cold. The noise level in the work environment is usually very loud, + 90 dB.SAFETY
Must comply with company, federal, state, and local safety and environmental rules and regulations while performing daily job tasks.