This can be a remote position; the selected candidate can reside and perform the work from anywhere within the United States.
General Motors is evolving from an automaker to a platform innovator where hardware and software go hand in hand, and new lines of growth business and revenue are emerging. Now more than ever, strong, and clear storytelling are essential to the success of that evolution.
To help us engage differently with our key stakeholders, we are looking for an integrated digital business communications expert. We need fresh ideas, perspectives, and insights to strengthen our existing and future software-enabled services and digital business storytelling efforts. This new role will partner with the Chief Digital Officer and a team of executives, who run important new lines of business including OnStar.
GM has 25+ years of expertise with OnStar, which means we have the world's largest connected car parc (12M vehicles). We already have a very strong portfolio of digital platforms, and we plan to them grow significantly. We are rethinking the experiences we create inside and outside of the vehicle so that we can meet our customers where they are in an ever more digital world. And we are making significant changes to our operating and support models to reflect this shift in our business model.
Our GM Brand Communications team engages with key stakeholders including employees, potential employees, investors, and policymakers on important topics such as electric and autonomous vehicles, social impact, and other business growth initiatives. The Director of Digital Business Communications will be a key member of this team with a focus on telling integrated stories that build confidence in the company as a platform innovator as well as highlight strategic investments and commercial successes.
In this role, you'll collaborate on software enabled services and digital storytelling for the GM Brand and work closely to leverage relationship with GM's consumer brand counterparts to tell customer stories. You'll lead Communications strategies and content development, create and implement media relations strategies. You'll lead a small team, as well as have access to agency resources.
Additional Job DescriptionMust-have Skills:
- Develop a comprehensive communications plan for GM's new Digital Business Organization partnering with other teams including Internal Communications, Product/Brand Communications, Corporate News and others
- Develop stories as milestones of growth, using elements of the Communications Blueprint to support business objectives
- Use data insights to set top priorities and measure progress toward them. Understand the important KPI's and milestones that should be part of the development of every business communication plan
- Develop a thought leadership executive plan for the Chief Digital Officer, including editorial, speaking engagements and social media strategies. Develop similar plans for other Digital Business external-facing, high-profile executives
- Manage proactive and reactive media relations and provide strategic communication counsel to digital business leaders, under the newly developed organization
- Handle external issues management related to the new digital businesses
- Build on successful new business announcements and product launches from our Innovation Organization, including strong engagement with existing business like OnStar Guardian, OnStar Insurance, etc. that fall under the Digital Business team
- Successful collaborative partnerships with Marketing and other GM communication colleagues will be essential for success
- Use the art of storytelling to extend reputational building efforts of the GM Brand with core stakeholders including employees, potential employees, policy makers, investors and customers
- Develop and share important messaging for company announcements
- Act as the liaison for GM Comms supporting digital organization withthe Consumer brands, as appropriate
- Demonstrated understanding of software enabled and digital business practices
- Significant public relations experience in an auto-related (OEM) or comparable tech industry experience
- Ability to build credibility and trust with leaders across the organization to achieve collaborative implementation of growth strategies
- Experience developing and executing communication plans for high-level executives, with measurable results
- Ability to translate business objectives to activation strategies
- Demonstrated earned media tactics and creative storytelling experience
- Ability to turn research analytics into actionable insights tied to business objectives and KPIs
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize work with strong organizational skills
- Demonstrated experience working collaboratively across Marketing and Communication's teams with measured and meaningful business results
- Act as an advisor to team members on digital business priorities and capabilities necessary to support desired growth initiatives
- Proven exceptional communications skills; writing and delivering succinct, compelling POVs, briefs, and presentations
- Well versed at digital business and ecommerce principles, highly desirable
- Be Inclusive - a bridge builder, diplomat, collaborator and demonstrated, successful people leader. Invites and inspires others to respect diverse perspectives
- Be Bold - Will present new, progressive ideas and encourage new approaches to telling a story
- Innovate Now - See things not as they are but how they could be and think strategy before tactics
- Curious - Reaching our audiences and capturing attention involves digging into the issues that are important to our core audiences and customers
- Creative - Can develop a really-compelling story and successfully pitch it
- Cool Under Pressure - OK with change and ambiguity. Thinks quickly and on-the-fly. Dusts off, gets back up and right back at it. Thrives in a fast-paced environment and can be relied on in a crisis
- Analytical Mindset - Ability to leverage data and research to drive decision and prioritization around story telling
- Managerial Courage - ability to prioritize, pick appropriate battles with respect, align people across the team and function/company for common good and goals
- 8+ years of experience in integrated media strategy, preferably both agency and client experience
- At least four years managing people, and the ability to guide high-performing company and agency teams
- Proven experience working successfully with senior leaders
- Persuasive and confident, able to inspire internal teams and clients to execute daring ideas
- Insatiable curiosity, spending time looking for trends, insights, tools, and ideas that can help drive a business forward
The median level of salary compensation for this role is $161,292.Bonus Potential:
An incentive pay program offers payouts based on company performance, job level, and individual performance.Benefits:
GM offers a variety of health and wellbeing benefit programs. Benefit options include medical, dental, vision, Health Savings Account, Flexible Spending Accounts, retirement savings plan, sickness and accident benefits, life insurance, paid vacation & holidays, tuition assistance programs, employee assistance program, GM vehicle discounts and more#LI-Remote#gmremoteAbout GM
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day - individually and collectively - to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.Benefits Overview
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.Diversity Information
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities.GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us atCareers.Accommodations@GM.com. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.