This can be a remote position; the selected candidate can reside and perform the work from anywhere within the United States.
This is a high-profile, fast paced position that is responsible for managing the strategic communications plans, story development and execution for the company's Research & Development, GM Ventures, EV growth operations, and strategic technology partnership efforts. In this role, the Director will be responsible for creating high impact communications approaches for a wide range of technology initiatives underway in the company's R&D organization, establish and scale communications for GM Ventures, highlight GM's EV Growth Operations team efforts to redefine the ownership experience in an era of EVs, and create storytelling opportunities for technology partnerships the company has and will establish with other organizations.
The ideal candidate will have an insatiable appetite for new and emerging technology markets and future mobility applications coupled with the keen ability to quickly identify and dissect nuanced and complex innovations concisely. Executive communications support and counsel, story mining, strategic thinking, and the ability think beyond an individual headline is imperative. In addition to being a creative and compelling communications expert, this role will manage a team of communicators and act as the functional liaisons with key with a range of functionals internally.
R&D and Strategic Technology:
Additional Job DescriptionCompetencies:
- Develop and deploy strategic, high impact communications plans and identify compelling narratives that highlight GM's technology leadership and the company's efforts to drive the conversation and the shift in mobility not seen in more than a century
- Partner with colleagues across Communications, including Corporate, IR and Public Policy (to name a few), to create a set of approaches that elevate the GM technology story and highlight a wide range of initiatives underway
- Provide communications counsel for related GM executives, colleagues, and others related to this role's key areas of focus
- Oversee communications for GM's R&D organization and GM Venture
- Oversee communications related to strategic technology initiatives including EV Growth Operations and technology partnerships
- Maintain or build strategic relationships for key activations and storytelling with Public Policy, Investor Relations conferences and events to extend stories, Talent Acquisition as it makes sense for employee retention and attraction
- Identify, Engage and Maintain relationships with key media and influencer audiences in automotive, business, technology, mobility, and others - including Broadcast strategy
- Understand the implications and benefits of new technologies
- Develop and execute a plan to reach relevant audiences, which could include the press, GM drivers and customers, investors, and employees
- Cultivate relationships with GM executives and their staffs of related teams and functional organizations.
- Understand executives' priorities as well as their organization
- Manage incoming requests for information to support Communications stories
- Manage outgoing requests for external and internal storytelling to support executives' needs
Technology mindset - Understanding of how technology is impacting automotive and mobility with the strong desire to learn and effectively convey stories about emerging innovations
Flexibility - Ability to be flexible and dynamic in a fast-moving environment and market
Business Acumen - Understands the importance of how technology is helping to shape the future of our industry and business
Instinct and Strategy - Operates as a strategic communications expert with the ability to think outside of the status quo, forecast potential issues before they arise, see the bigger picture, and understand the impacts news may have on GM's business
Proactive Problem Solving - Practices getting out in front of a problem with a focus on finding solutions, not reacting when issues present themselves
Collaborative - Works well with others across the enterprise and takes diverse perspectives into consideration
Analytical Mindset - Ability to leverage data and research to drive decision and prioritization around storytelling and strategic development
Influence - Ability to synthesize business strategies and influence external and internal stakeholders and audiences
Learning - Interest in learning as much as possible while being unafraid to tackle new and exciting initiatives and technology stories
- BA in communications or related field
- Minimum of 7 years of professional experience
The median level of salary compensation for this role is $161,292.Bonus Potential:
An incentive pay program offers payouts based on company performance, job level, and individual performance.Benefits:
GM offers a variety of health and wellbeing benefit programs. Benefit options include medical, dental, vision, Health Savings Account, Flexible Spending Accounts, retirement savings plan, sickness and accident benefits, life insurance, paid vacation & holidays, tuition assistance programs, employee assistance program, GM vehicle discounts and more#LI-Remote#gmremoteAbout GM
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day - individually and collectively - to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.Benefits Overview
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.Diversity Information
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities.GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us atCareers.Accommodations@GM.com. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.