Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications
SMU's more than 12,000 diverse, high-achieving students come from all 50 states and 90 countries to take advantage of the University's small classes, hands-on research opportunities, leadership development, community service, international study and innovative programs. The University offers a strong foundation in the humanities and sciences and undergraduate, graduate and professional degree programs through eight schools.
Now in its second century of achievement, SMU is increasingly recognized for the ways it supports students, faculty and alumni as they become ethical leaders in their professions and communities. On the most beautiful college campus in the country, SMU Mustangs are energized by unbridled opportunities - from teaching, learning and research to creativity, performance and athletic endeavor.
About the Position:
Assist the Associate Director of Maintenance and Grounds in driving the production of the Facilities Department by analyzing work flow, productivity, time management and asset allocation.
The primary function shall include, but not be limited to assisting in the implementation and enforcement of training, safety, and regulatory compliance policies as well as the monitoring daily maintenance operations.
Required to be able to move frequently around campus to consult with technicians, building representatives, contractors and vendors as necessary to facilitate efficient operation. Must be able to act in the capacity of district manager in the event of an unplanned or scheduled absence. Must be able to offer direction as needed to mechanics, technicians, tradesman and district managers when applicable.
- Assist in the supervision of the daily operation of the facilities department as well as the management of forms, personnel, scheduling, and expense monitoring.
- Interact with, as well as, schedule contractors and vendors related to building and equipment needs.
- Aids in monitoring staff attendance, hiring, training, coaching, and mentoring. May assist with conducting technical reviews of direct reports as well as discerning appropriate corrective actions.
- Assist with budgetary analysis of facilities related expenses. Assist with analysis of departmental accomplishments and the compilation of historical data to identify trends with regards to performance.
- Remain current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training courses as outlined by the Director and/or Associate Director of Maintenance and Grounds.
- Perform or direct training that includes but not limited to Safety, Standard Operating Procedures, Policies, and the like.
- Assist with the establishment and implementation of departmental policies, goals, objectives, and procedures.
- Assist with auditing of work quality.
- Analyze data to track productivity trends.
- Contributes to the overall success of the Division of Facilities Planning and Management by performing all other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Education and Experience:
High school diploma or equivalent is required.
Seven to nine (7 - 9) years of work experience is required.
Familiarity with a variety of facility maintenance concepts, practices, and procedures as well as the management of persons operating in various related trades is required.
Applicable certifications and licenses preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Candidate must demonstrate understanding of corrective and preventive maintenance concepts with a working knowledge of a facilities and grounds operations. This position will be expected to work indepently and keep the Associate Director and all key stakeholders updated on an as needed basis. Candidate will be expected to be available for emergency response, as necessary, and occasional evening and weekend work may be asked.
Candidate must demonstrate strong interpersonal and verbal communication skills, with the ability to communicate broadly across the University and develop and maintain effective relationships with a wide range of constituencies. Must also demonstrate strong written communication skills.
Candidate must possess strong problem-solving skills with the ability to identify and analyze problems, as well as devise solutions. Must also have strong organizational, planning and time management skills.
Physical and Environmental Demands:
- Sit for long periods of time
- Bend, Climb, Kneel
- Walk long distances
- Carry/lift 25 lbs.
- Reach above shoulders
- Handle objects/dexterity
- Exposure to excessive noise
- Around moving machinery
- Exposure to marked changes in temperature/humidity
- Exposure to dust, fumes, gases, radiation, microwave
- Drives motorized equipment
Deadline to Apply:
Open until filled.
SMU will not discriminate in any program or activity on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, sexual orientation, or gender identity and expression. The Executive Director for Access and Equity/Title IX Coordinator is designated to handle inquiries regarding nondiscrimination policies and may be reached at the Perkins Administration Building, Room 204, 6425 Boaz Lane, Dallas, TX 75205, 214-768-3601, firstname.lastname@example.org.
SMU offers staff a broad, competitive array of health and related benefits. In addition to traditional benefits such as health, dental, and vision plans, SMU offers a wide range of wellness programs to help attract, support, and retain our employees whose work continues to make SMU an outstanding education and research institution.
SMU is committed to providing an array of retirement programs that benefit and protect you and your family throughout your working years at SMU and, if you meet SMU's retirement eligibility criteria, during your retirement years after you leave SMU.
The value of learning at SMU isn't just about preparing our students for the future. Employees have access to a wide variety of professional and personal development opportunities, including tuition benefits.
This job has expired.