NASA Armstrong Flight Research Center (AFRC) Aircrew member performs duties in support of the operations of all aircraft assigned to applicable base location. Pilots will fly sorties for NASA and NASA customers to ensure that quality products and safe operations are provided as tasked. Aircraft are operated to meet Agency platform, research, and support aircraft requirements. AFRC aircraft are located at the main campus at Edwards Air Force Base, California, and the Science and Aircraft Integration Facility (SAIF) located in Palmdale, California, with most of the Airborne Science platforms assigned to Palmdale. Deployed operations, both CONUS and OCONUS, are routine for these aircrew positions.
A successful candidate will conduct full-time Pilot duties on ER-2 (U-2) and a variety of other NASA aircraft as assigned to include, but not limited to: DC-8, Gulfstream III, Beechcraft King Air, C-20A, F-18 A/B, F-15 B/D, RQ-4 Global Hawk, T-34C, TG-14.
Pay Range $120,000-$160,000.
The pay range for this position is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, geographic location, and any applicable laws
- Conducting flight operations in accordance with FAA, Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM), and other applicable directives, regulations, and instructions.
- Maintaining performance standards in accordance with directives, training plans and Flight Crew Branch policies to include: Knowledge of safety precautions, Knowledge of airfield operations.
- Demonstrating Emergency Bold Face procedures from memory, and Knowledge of aircraft systems, limitations and ATC regulations / procedures.
- Participating in i3 and NASA-directed Continuation Training, meetings, and other forums mandated by the on-site management team.
- Performing any and all on-site tasks necessary at operating locations for a safe, secure, and professional operation.
- Direct support to any administrative or flight operations scheduling / record keeping as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Candidate must also maintain proficiency, currency, and annual requirements in accordance with NPR 7900.3C, NPD 7900.4D, AFPD 8700.1 and AFOP 7900.3-006 as applicable.
NASA will provide training and qualification checks for aircrew, including required periodic simulator training.
NASA authorized flight surgeon will provide periodic flight physicals for aircrew.Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree, or higher, from an accredited university or college (Required), with major study in an appropriate field of engineering, physical science, life science, or mathematics (Desired).
- Must be able to pass random drug screenings. (Required)
- Possess a current US passport, valid through period of employment. (Required)
- Formal military training in expected duties (with DD 214 annotating AFSC / MOS qualification) or applicable civilian experience. (Highly Desired)
- Possess an FAA commercial pilot license with instrument, multiengine and single engine land ratings or possess a pilot and instrument rating from the armed services. (Required)
- Logbook and/or flight records verifying the following flight time minimums: 1,500 hours of pilot in command (PIC) (Required), pilots should have at least 1000 hours in the U-2 and have been a current U-2 pilot within the past two years to be qualified to begin duty as a NASA ER-2 (Highly Desired)
- Must meet the security requirements of the position and pass a NASA Flight Medical Certification (Required).
- Should possess knowledge and first-hand experience necessary to succeed as a government contractor providing direct support to NASA AFRC staff as required.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office programs such as Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Must be able to create, maintain and update briefings and statistical reporting.
- Must be able to obtain a DoD SECRET security clearance.
Work Environment & Physical Demands:
- Light to medium work.
- Ability to lift, carry, push, pull, see, hear, stoop, crouch, feel, handle; manual dexterity.
- Outside work. Ability to tolerate conditions in a deployed environment to include inclement weather, rain, humidity, cold and extreme heat. May be exposed to dust, fumes, odors, chemicals, and confined spaces.
- Close, distance, color and peripheral vision and depth perception.
- Ability to read and comprehend technical manuals and instructions; procedures, safety instructions, memos, reports.
- Ability to write at a level to relay data, details and information.
- Ability to perform shop math.
- Ability to speak clearly and concisely to relay information.
- Moderate noise level.
- May be required to sit at computer station and/or type on keyboard for extended periods of time.
- May be required to lift objects such as laptop and office copy paper.
- May be required to view and read computer monitor for extended periods of time.
- May be required to take verbal messages per phone and face-to-face contact.
- Will occasionally be required to stand and walk to deliver items within office or on the flight line.
Flight line working conditions:
- Will be required to work day or night.
- May be exposed to high noise levels.
- Will be required to fly long missions (up to 12 hours) at high altitude in a confined space.
- May be subject to the altitude or physiological risks normally associated with flying.
Headquartered in Huntsville, AL, i3 is a national leader in providing innovative technical and engineering solutions to a broad customer base across the U.S. DoD. Specializing in missile and aviation engineering and logistic services, electronic warfare and electromagnetic affects analysis, UAS system integration and flight operations, full lifecycle C5ISR engineering services, engineering analysis, cybersecurity and IT/IA innovative solutions and virtual training, simulation & serious game development and implementation.
- We were founded in 2007 with the intent to do business differently.
- Our focus is to leave our team members and customers better than we found them.
- Our ultimate goal is to strengthen our Nation and our warfighter.
Perks and Benefits at i3:
We work hard. We compete hard. We play hard. Apply now to join us!
This job has expired.
- 100% team member owned
- Outstanding insurance coverage
- 401(k) match
- Health and wellness incentives
- Tuition and certification reimbursement
- Generous PTO
- Fun culture with company activities
- Countless opportunities to give back to the community through our charitable organization, i3 Cares