Any qualified individual with a disability who is having difficulty in completing an application because of incompatible technology or other disability-related application issues may contact us at the following phone number for assistance: 251-445-1932.
Austal shall abide by the requirements of 41 CFR §§ 60-1.4(a), 60-300.5(a) and 60-741.5(a). These regulations prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin. Moreover, these regulations require that covered prime contractors and subcontractors take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status or disability. Austal's commitment to equal employment opportunity applies at all levels of employment, in all job titles, including the executive level, and to all employment actions, including but not limited to decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, training, and promotion.
REPORTS TO: FSW Supervisor
JOB SUMMARY: Prepares materials and assists in the set up and operations of the friction stir weld (FSW) department and machine.
AUTHORITIES / RESPONSIBILITIES:
QUALIFICATIONS / KNOWLEDGE / EXPERIENCE:
- Reads and interprets work orders. Gathers tools and materials needed to accomplish work.
- Prepares material for FSW machine. This includes, but is not limited to, sands, grinds, wipes, and cuts materials required for work.
- Operates tools, equipment, and machines used for the preparation of material. This includes, but is not limited to, the safe operation of trimmers and hydraulic clamps.
- Completes required extrusion paperwork in accordance with policy and procedure.
- Handles materials by loading/unloading work stations to include the welding table and storage racks.
- Maintains correct labeling of panels to the appropriate vessel - tracking PO number, heat or lot number, and thickness of the plate.
- Assures quality of work.
- Ensures correction construction procedures are followed in compliance with Austal standards and project specifications.
- Follows verbal and written instruction.
- Maintains clean and orderly work area and keeps materials and equipment stowed in an orderly manner.
- Strives to learn new skills on-the-job to include learning machine software programs.
- Completes work as assigned which may include work in other trades.
- Works in a safe manner reporting any potential safety hazards to the supervisor.
- Works any shift or extra hours when necessary.
- Complies with company, federal, state, and local safety and environmental rules and regulations while performing work assignments.
- Complies with the Austal's "Equal Opportunity and Anti-Harassment Policy" which expects that all relationships among persons in the workplace will be professional and free of bias, prejudice, and harassment.
- Certificate/Completion from a technical trade school, applicable skilled trades program or apprenticeship preferred. 2 years of experience in shipbuilding production or closely related industry may be considered in lieu of certificate/completion preference.
- Experience in CNC operations preferred.
- 1 year of production, construction or closely related trade/craft experience required.
- Good mechanical aptitude with ability to produce consistent quality.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Excel.
- Must be willing and have the ability to learn new software programs as needed.
- Shipbuilding experience preferred.
Maintain knowledge of tools and proper handling and usage per Supervisor and/or Foreman.DIRECTION EXERCISED:
Friction Stir Weld, Quality Assurance, and Health, Safety & Environmental departmentsADDITIONAL GUIDELINES:
Candidate must meet Austal USA's basic employment eligibility guidelines.
- Must be Fully Vaccinated for COVID-19
- 18 years of age or older at time of application
- Able to provide proof of US Person Status
- No felony convictions of Theft/Deception or Violent crimes within seven years from disposition date
- No felony convictions of Drug crimes within three years from disposition date
- Willing to submit to a drug screen
- Willing to submit to a background check
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Must be able to tour all vessels and work sites.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, use hands to manipulate, handle, or feel, reach with hands and arms, climb and balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit.
Specific physical requirements include the following:
- Must have the ability to bend, squat, stoop, crawl, and kneel.
- Perform prolonged standing.
- Ability to turn head from side to side and about the vertical axis.
- Ability to turn body at the waist from side to side and about the vertical axis.
- Lift/push/pull 50lbs to 75lbs on an occasional basis.
- Lift/push/pull up to 20lbs on a frequent basis.
- Must have the ability to climb in a safe manner (climbing as a minimum includes stairs, scaffolding, ladders, and ramps).
- Ability to work at heights above 12' while working from ladders, scaffolding and/or man lifts.
- Able to work at a variety of levels (ex. waist, eye, overhead).
- Demonstrate the ability to safely and appropriately use required tools and equipment.
- Demonstrate good balance while working on uneven surfaces and maneuvering obstacles.
- Possess sufficient handgrip and coordination to carry and operate tools and equipment.
- Ability to utilize personal protective equipment (hard hat, safety glasses, steel-toes shoes, goggles, respirator, safety harness, safety line, flotation gear, etc.) safely per OSHA standards.
- Ability to withstand cold and hot temperatures.
- Ability to enter 18" x 36" openings and work in confined spaces for prolonged periods of time.
- Able to respond to verbal and audible sounds/commands.
- Able to utilize adequate visual skills.
- Ability to fully extend the arm while reaching overhead, reaching out, reaching to the side and reaching down.
- Ability to perceive attributes of an object/material such as size, shape, temperature and texture by means of receptors in the hands and fingers.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to humid conditions, bright flashing lights, moving mechanical parts, high precarious places, outside weather conditions, and extreme heat. The employee is occasionally exposed to fumes and/or airborne particles at or below the PEL, toxic or caustic chemicals, and heat and cold. The noise level in the work environment is usually very loud, + 90 dB.SAFETY
Must comply with company, federal, state, and local safety and environmental rules and regulations while performing daily job tasks.