Position Title: Humanitarian Response Program Officer (Temporary Assignment until End of Dec, 2022 with Possibility to Extend)
Reports To: Regional Director Europe and Middle East
Department: Middle East & Europe
Job Location: New York, NY, Washington, DC preferred; Remote within EST possible
Pay Grade: 8
FLSA & Union Status: Exempt;Non-Bargaining
Introduction: Church World Service (CWS) is a not-for-profit, faith-based organization transforming communities around the globe through just and sustainable solutions to hunger, poverty, displacement and disaster. CWS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, genetic information, age, disability or veteran status in employment or in the provision of services.
In response to the humanitarian crisis resulting from Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, CWS is establishing humanitarian and emergency response programming in Moldova. Reporting to the Regional Director, Europe & Middle East (with additional support/oversight from the Humanitarian Response Team Leader), this position supports the regional and in-country teams with programmatic support including program analysis, backstopping, grants management, and coordination.
- Develop and maintain expert understanding of the humanitarian situation resulting from Russia’s invasion of Ukraine and human displacement, to include political, social, and operational issues.
- Develop and maintain expert understanding of program funding and grants, including CWS member denominations and institutional (government and private) donors.
- Provide regular reporting on CWS programming to internal and external stakeholders, under the supervision and direction of program leadership.
- Provide regular reporting on political, social, and operational dynamics in the region to CWS leadership and teams.
- Work with HQ and field-based program and business development staff to develop program strategies, budgets, proposals, and reports.
- Support program teams with administrative support and coordinate closely with CWS shared services (finance, IT, operations, HR, administration) as needed, at the direction of program leadership, to ensure smooth operating of the program.
- Liaise with CWS Technical Unit to ensure synergy between the unit and the humanitarian response program.
- Perform other duties and tasks, as required
- Minimum 5 years’ experience working with forcedly displaced people, ideally in a humanitarian/emergency response setting, including experience with grant management throughout the grant cycle.
- Technical experience with protection, child protection, mental health and psychosocial support (MHPSS) and/or WASH preferred.
- Experience working with local NGOs in planning/programming
- English language skills required. Russian, Romanian, or Ukrainian language strongly preferred.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment required.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion and willingness to support CWS’ Platform on Racial Justice as a CWS employee required.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Ability to work in fast changing emergency context
- Ability to travel to the region if requested
CWS’ U.S. COVID-19 Vaccination Policy requires all new staff to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination as soon as reasonable, no longer than 60 days of employment. Any employee who is pregnant, who is nursing, who has a disability, or who has a medical condition that prevents them from safe vaccination, or who rejects vaccination because of sincerely held religious beliefs, may contact the CWS Benefits Administrator to request reasonable accommodation as defined by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC).
This job has expired.