The Nebraska Department of Transportation (NDOT) is seeking a Land Surveyor to assist us in all aspects of boundary surveying on various highway construction projects. Your responsibilities as a Land Surveyor in construction may include the measurement of properties sold or purchased; the location of buildings, roads, and utilities for real estate developers; and the measurement of the exact limits of claims, marking their locations on maps.
At the Nebraska Department of Transportation, we reward our employee's hard work with a friendly and supportive work environment and a comprehensive benefits package which includes:
• State-matched retirement contribution of 156%!
• 13 paid holidays
• Generous leave accruals that begin immediately
• A culture that embraces work-life balance
• Military leave
• Tuition reimbursement program
• Dependent tuition reimbursement program with partnering Nebraska community colleges
• Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF) through the Federal government
• 79% employer paid health insurance plans
• Dental and vision insurance plans
• Employer-paid $20,000 life insurance policy
• Wide variety and availability of career advancement as the largest and most diverse employer in the State
• Opportunity to be part of meaningful work and make a difference through public service
• Training and development based on your career aspirations
• Job security and stability, even during times of economic hardship
• Employee Assistance Program
• Fun, inviting teammates
• Free parking
Pay rate for this position is $20.097. (Effective July 1, 2023, pay rate will increase to $21.101).
If unable to fill at the Highway Land Surveyor level, will under-fill at the Highway Survey Assistant level at $16.339 per hour. (Effective July 1, 2023, pay rate will increase to $17.155). Qualifications for this level are a high school education or equivalent and education or experience in civil surveying.
Apply today using our quick apply process! The system will parse your resume to fill in required information. Please remember to also attach your resume at the end of the process before submitting. Thank you!
Examples of Work
• Assist a Registered Land Surveyor in all aspects of boundary surveying.
• Operate a high accuracy Trimble Global Positioning System (GPS) receiver and download the data collector into the computer.
• Research boundary corner records and deeds with limited direction.
• Search for boundary corners with use of digging tools such as a pick, shovel, 70 pound portable jack hammer, etc. in outdoor environments in all types of weather conditions.
• Conduct field surveying with limited direction when supervisor is not available.
• Complete data transfer and draft the survey plat and corner ties by computer aided drafting (CAD).
• Review plats, tie sheet, index sheets, etc. for errors.
• Make corrections after draft copies are reviewed by a Highway Registered Land Surveyor.
• Print and prepare for filing with the State Surveyor's office and County Surveyor's office.
• Ensure the supplies and equipment are available and ready to use in the survey truck.
Qualifications / Requirements
REQUIREMENTS: Two year post high school degree in land surveying. Experience may substitute for the required education on a year-for-year basis.
PREFERRED: Experience in using survey grade Trimble Global positioning equipment and Trimble Business Center (TBC) software. Experience in using Bentley MicroStation computer aided drafting software.
OTHER: Valid driver's license or the ability to provide independent authorized transportation. Overnight travel and regular and reliable attendance are required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Knowledge of: the requirements for filing survey documents; land survey practices; the location of pertinent archived survey information including within the NDOT; NDOT Design and Right-of Way operations; GPS principles; the rectangular system of public lands and basic survey principles.
Ability to: operate various surveying instruments for angle, distance and elevation including operating and downloading GPS receiver data to determine coordinates: Research and copy boundary corner records; Locate boundary corners with limited direction; compute survey information for determination of bearings, distances and coordinate values in the field and office; draft survey plats using CAD.
Skill in: the use of GPS and CAD; the correct placement of corner ties: drafting practices for surveys.
NDOT encourages applicants of all ages and experience to apply.
*By registering with our site, you agree to our
Posted about 24 hours ago
Posted about 24 hours ago
Fort Collins, Colorado
Posted about 20 hours ago