The University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics Department of Nursing is seeking a Nursing Unit Clerk (NUC) to perform clerical, reception, and related duties relative to nursing care and services to patients. This position will be covering the Adult Acute Internal Medicine Unit (5 South).
The Adult Acute Internal Medicine Units are both 13-bed general medicine inpatient units that serves a variety of patients. The unit is designed to provide high quality, personalized care for patients. We are pleased that we are able to provide our patients with private rooms, granting them the quite atmosphere to rest and heal.
We Treat Diseases and Disorders from the Following Body Systems, Including but Not Limited to:
We use a multidisciplinary approach to patient care that is patient centered and encourages teamwork between nursing staff, physicians, therapy teams, social work, care coordination, and pharmacists. Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Communicates and interacts with patients, visitors, and other health care professionals in an effective manner and maintains positive, cooperative relationships.
- Utilizes and maintains electronic communication systems to ensure communication among the health care team members and patients/families, including text pagers, locator badges, wireless phones, and other new systems.
- Provides information and direction to health care personnel and visitors coming to the unit, answers the telephone; takes and delivers messages and assists in keeping White Boards updated at least daily as appropriate.
- Helps to answer call lights, maintain call-light system, and relay information in a timely manner to appropriate team members.
- Proficient in navigating web-based resources and using online clinical and business applications.
- Performs computer functions within scope of role as defined by the individual unit.
- Maintains accurate census information; (e.g., timely ADT entry into IDX, Premise bed board activities, correct level of accommodation charges, and census reconciliation).
- Processes patient charges including batching charges in a timely manner, as appropriate.
- Notifies appropriate health care professionals of a patient admission and prepares the required forms with patient identification information.
- Completes and maintains hospital and nursing records.
- Uses appropriate medical terminology and symbols, i.e. verbal, written and electronic.
- Assists health care providers in scheduling patient tests and appointments.
- Practices standard precautions in infection control in accordance with institutional policy.
- Assists staff during emergencies, and other patient cares and services as directed.
- Maintains a process for ordering, obtaining, and storing supplies that is cost effective and meets unit needs.
- Participates in unit staff meetings and in-services.
- Performs other projects or tasks as assigned.
University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics-recognized as one of the best hospitals in the United States-is Iowa's only comprehensive academic medical center and a regional referral center. Each day more than 12,000 employees, students, and volunteers work together to provide safe, quality health care and excellent service for our patients. Simply stated, our mission is: Changing Medicine. Changing Lives.®Percent of Time:
100% (40 hours/week) Schedule:
Evenings,Monday - Friday, 2:00 PM - 10:30 PM Rotations:
No weekends, No holidays Location:
UIHC, General Hospital (GH) Merit Pay Plan:
• Regular salaried position located in Iowa City, Iowa
• Fringe benefit package including paid vacation; sick leave; health, dental, life and disability insurance options; and generous employer contributions into retirement plans - for details click here
• For more information about Why Iowa?, click hereMinimum Eligibility Requirements:
1. Graduation from high school and any combination of clerical experience, health care experience and/or post high school education which totals one year, or
2. Any combination of clerical experience and/or health care experience which totals two years.Desirable Qualifications:
- 6 months of clerical experience
- Public contact/customer service experience
- Medical terminology knowledge
- Proficiency in MS Word and MS Excel
- Excellent communication skills
In order to be considered, applicants must upload a resume (under submission relevant materials) that clearly address how they meet the listed required and desired qualifications of this position.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of 10 calendar days.
Successful candidates will be subject to a criminal background check. This position is not eligible for University sponsorship for employment authorization.
For questions, contact email@example.com.
Applicant selected for position, if external, must be available to attend a 2-3 week orientation session Monday-Friday, 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM.
- Classification Title: Nursing Unit Clerk
- Appointment Type: Merit
- Schedule: Full-time
This job has expired.
- Organization: Healthcare
- Contact Name: Kyle Fountain
- Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org