It's more than a career, it's a calling.
MO-SSM Health Saint Louis University Hospital 1201 Grand
As part of training to become a pharmacist is able to perform all duties of a pharmacy tech and works closely with the pharmacist to develop additional skills to the level of their current education. Assist pharmacists in preparing and dispensing medications, maintaining the drug inventory, and maintaining patient records. Works only under the supervision of a registered pharmacist and may not perform duties that can legally be performed only by a registered pharmacist. Interacts with customers, answers phones, processes insurance billing, runs the cash register and participates in record keeping requirements.
Job Responsibilities and Requirements:
- Provide customer service through greeting and acknowledging every customer, is knowledgeable of merchandise and assists customers within the pharmacy. Informs patients when delays are encountered with filling their prescriptions.
- Answers telephones and emails, responding to all inquiries which do not require the attention of a pharmacist. Records complete messages for follow up by another pharmacy member.
- Maintains electronic records related to patient profile, insurance and new, transferred or discontinued prescriptions.
- Performs all duties of a pharmacy technician. Bills insurance and/or customers for prescriptions and merchandise and can resolve questions and/or insurance rejections through proper channels. Uses an understanding of Medication Therapy Management (MTM) programs from different insurers to identify and flag qualifying patients. Maintains patient charges, payroll deductions and monthly billing per local policy. Follow appropriate cash handling and register procedures.
- Assembles/prepares/compounds medications for inpatient and outpatient use. Ensures that all doses are checked by a pharmacist prior to dispensing/delivery to nursing units. Accurately and efficiently prepares IV medications including parenteral nutrition and chemotherapy.
- Assures medications are available for patients by assisting in inventory control including: ordering, checking in orders, stocking shelves, updating the computerized inventory system, rotating stock, processing recalls and conducting quarterly inspections of all areas where drugs are stored in the pharmacy for outdated and unusable medications and quarantining them in a separate are from useable stock.
- Fills medication carts and/or medication dispensing machines. Regularly sorts and puts away returned meds. Prepares hand packs. Prepares infusion products utilizing appropriate sterile technique procedures.
- Follows all procedures for documenting and dispensing controlled substances. Handles controlled substances in a manner that ensures accountability and security.
- Under Pharmacist supervision, counsel and/or provide information on drugs, their pharmacological action, dosage, contraindications, reactions, etc., to physicians, nurses, patients, and other interested parties as warranted, and with discretion.
- Under Pharmacist supervision, determine that medication dispensed to patients is correct as to drug, route of administration, strength, and expiration date. Review patient medication profiles and/or chart to ensure the accuracy of the drug and/or dosage ordered when appropriate.
- Under Pharmacist supervision, make routine rounds as required to obtain current patient information and provide professional services to customers.
- Works in a constant state of alertness and safe manner.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Frequent lifting/carrying and pushing/pulling objects weighing 0-25 lbs.
- Frequent sitting, standing, walking, reaching and repetitive foot/leg and hand/arm movements.
- Frequent use of vision and depth perception for distances near (20 inches or less) and far (20 feet or more) and to identify and distinguish colors.
- Frequent use of hearing and speech to share information through oral communication. Ability to hear alarms, malfunctioning machinery, etc.
- Frequent keyboard use/data entry.
- Occasional bending, stooping, kneeling, squatting, twisting and gripping.
- Occasional lifting/carrying and pushing/pulling objects weighing 25-50 lbs.
- Rare climbing.
PRN / Per Diem Shift (United States of America)Job Type:
39010037 PharmacyScheduled Weekly Hours:
SSM Health complies with applicable Federal civil rights laws and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability or sex.
Learn more here
This job has expired.