Position Title: Design Manager
This individual will be responsible for implementing Digital Realty Design & Engineering Guidelines/ Standards and will lead the design of multiple, concurrent projects. The incumbent will provide strategic and innovative thinking regarding the design and engineering of our data center development projects and manage challenging deliverables against aggressive project expectations (within budget and schedule objectives set for each project).
What you'll do
What you'll need
- Preparation of requests for proposals (RFPs) to A/E consultants and Commissioning Agents.
- Evaluation of proposals and recommendations to management regarding vendor selection.
- Direct and oversee Professional Consultants (Architects, Engineers) and Equipment Suppliers throughout the design process.
- Typical projects include: Greenfield construction of shell, powered base buildings/office, and data center suites. Renovation projects including suite refreshes, equipment upgrades, end-of-life replacements.
- Review and approve/deny consultant invoices.
- Ensure adequate tracking of any DEG deviations throughout project.
- Apply DLR Design & Engineering Guidelines / Standards to all projects to assure that standards are up to date with industry best practices and meet Company's business objectives (emphasis on value-engineering).
- Work with Delivery Team in the preparation and review of schedule/budgets and forecasts related to anticipated design and construction expenditures.
- Review OFCI equipment submittals and make recommendations to Delivery and Procurement team.
- Host page turn meetings, reviewing designs and providing feedback to the consultant team. Review Sequence of Operations, drawings, Basis of Design documents, commissioning plans and testing scripts.
- For Build-to-Suit projects, act as the primary customer contact for the development of customized data center development projects. Liaise with internal stakeholders such as sales and business development team.
- This will include leading the consultant team, preparing detailed development of work letters including program (scope), budget (emphasis on value-engineering) and schedule documents to support DLR leasing activities.
- Draft and deliver presentations throughout project lifecycle to upper management in order to adhere to DLR gating process.
- Develop and maintain vendor relationships (Contractors, Architects, Engineers, Consultants, etc) to provide cost-effective services for DLR projects.
- Communicate status of projects to both internal and external stakeholders on an ad-hoc and formal basis.
- Prepare monthly project reports regarding the budget, schedule and scope objectives of assigned projects through design process. Ensure smooth handoff of monthly reporting to delivery team.
- Tour project sites during construction. Attend Level 4 and 5 commissioning activities.
- Attend professional development events as a representative of DLR.
- Participate in internal design team meetings to innovate and recommend new technologies or design concepts.
A bit about us
- Bachelor's degree in a related discipline.
- Professional License (AIA or PE/PEng) preferred.
- Demonstrated project management experience of technically complex projects (typically 5-10 years of experience).
- Direct design and/or commissioning experience (typically 5-10 years of experience).
- Direct experience on past Digital Realty projects and knowledge of the DEG is preferred.
- Ability to direct and manage internal and external resources.
- Ability to understand and interpret design drawings, construction drawings, construction specifications, design and construction contracts, project schedules, and detailed budgets and estimate summaries.
- Excellent understanding of advanced electrical, mechanical, security/monitoring, and fire detection/suppression systems.
- Comprehensive knowledge of standard practices in the design and construction industry.
- General knowledge of design and construction terms and principles and contracts.
- Familiarity with basic building code requirements.
- Computer literate in the use of MS Office software and AutoCAD.
- Financial acumen to recommend, review and analyze budgets and estimates.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Self-motivated, able to work independently with minimal oversight.
- Strong relationship and interpersonal skills.
Digital Realty supports the world's leading enterprises and service providers by delivering the full spectrum of data center, colocation and interconnection solutions. PlatformDIGITAL®, our global data center platform, gives customers a reliable foundation for scaling their digital business and efficiently managing data gravity challenges. The size and scale of our business puts us in a unique position to offer customers access to 290 facilities in 49 metros across 24 countries and six continents. A bit about our Digital team Operations
Our Operations team keeps our customers' infrastructure running safely and securely. We get plenty of opportunities to take on a variety of tasks and develop our technical skills. From overseeing electrical power to cooling and fire suppression systems, our team plays a vital role in making sure everything in our data centers operates as it should. What we can offer you
Our rapidly evolving business sector offers the opportunity to be part of a courageous and passionate team who work together to understand and meet the changing needs of our global customers.
Join us and you'll be part of a supportive and inclusive environment where you can bring your whole self to work. As part of our team, you'll get to work with people from different business areas, challenge the way we do things and put your ideas into action. We'll also give you plenty of development opportunities so you can build a rewarding and successful career with us.
This is an exciting time to join our business so apply now and make your mark on our future. Notes:
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
Digital Realty offers a highly competitive compensation package, excellent benefits, and an environment that recognizes and rewards your contributions.
Digital Realty is an equal opportunity employer, EOE/AA/M/F/Vets/Disabled. All applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or protected veteran status, or other status protected by law or Company policy.
Digital Realty cares about the health and safety of its workforce, customers, and vendors. Digital Realty encourages all new hires to be fully COVID-19 vaccinated by their start date. Employees who are not fully COVID-19 vaccinated may need to comply with our weekly COVID-19 testing requirements if required per your job requirement, work location and customer obligations, subject to applicable workplace accommodation requirements
Digital Realty is a publicly traded company (NYSE: DLR) with investment grade ratings from all three major ratings agencies.
Please do not forward unsolicited resumes to any employee of Digital Realty and its subsidiaries. Digital Realty is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited referrals.
This job has expired.