The Division of Hematology, Oncology, and Blood & Marrow Transplantation within the Internal Medicine department is seeking a highly motivated and organized Research Assistant interested in contributing to basic research. General responsibilities will include providing support for research by conducting experiments, collecting and analyzing results and performing operational duties associated with the laboratory (bench), animal (mouse) research. Key areas of responsibilities include conducting research activities/experiments, collecting, analyzing and summarizing data, preparing reports, contributing to manuscripts/publications, project management, and management of laboratory operations including mouse colonies and inventory. This is an excellent position for candidate to become part of growing group and seeking to gain experience in conducting cutting edge research in the field of colorectal cancer and intestinal health.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
Experiments, Investigations, Evaluations:
- Perform research activities based upon protocols developed by other research staff or principal investigator of the research project.
- Read and review articles as directed.
- As individual skills develop, analyze literature to develop hypothesis for discussion with other researchers or principal investigator.
- Maintain various mouse colonies and perform various experiments related to intestinal diseases on live mice.
- Perform tissue culture of cell and organoid lines, protein immunoassays and Western blotting, qPCR and reporter assays
- Possess strong initiative and desire to troubleshoot/problem-solve technical and experimental challenges.
Collect, Analyze and Summarize Data; Prepare Reports; Contribute to Manuscripts, Publications:
- Read, understand, and implement protocols with fidelity.
- Arrange and plan daily activities to prepare for research protocols.
- Set up and operate research materials or equipment.
- Adhere to safety and compliance guidelines.
- Collect, record and consolidate data as directed by the Principal Investigator.
- As individual skills develop; troubleshoot, analyze and propose modifications to protocols; perform complex techniques per protocol; test and evaluate current procedures; develop and implement procedures for monitoring data integrity; pay present results at team meetings.
Administrative and Project Management:
- Collect and track, perform data entry for reports and maintain records of methods used.
- Prepare materials for reports.
- As skills develop, analyze data.
- Prepare bibliographies and abstracts for publications.
- May present results/finding at team and departmental meetings.
Facilities and Equipment Management:
- Assist with IACUC, IRB, or similar protocol submissions, if applicable.
- Track various indicators of project progress and summarize in reports to the research team.
- Assist in documenting compliance with safety and regulatory guidelines.
- Assist in the preparation, calibration, and maintenance of laboratory and facility equipment.
- Assist with procurement of supplies and materials.
- Identify laboratory purchasing needs and initiate purchasing requests, monitor accounts/expenditures; reconcile statements.
- A Bachelor's degree in a scientific discipline or an equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to pay attention to detail and excellent organizational skills.
- Proficient skills in computer software applications such as Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint is required.
- Commitment to promoting a diverse, equitable and inclusive work environment.
- Experience with mouse models and knowledge of mouse physiology is desired.
- Previous laboratory experience and basic skills in molecular biology and cell biology research is highly desirable
- Experience with mouse colony setup and maintenance is desirable.
- Experience with bacterial and mammalian cell culture is desirable.
In order to be considered for an interview, applicants must upload the following documents and mark them as a "Relevant File" to the submission:
• Cover Letter
Job openings are posted for a minimum of 14 calendar days and may be removed from posting and filled any time after the original posting period has ended.
Successful candidates will be required to self-disclose any conviction history and will be subject to a criminal background check and credential/education verification. Up to 5 professional references will be requested at a later step in the recruitment process.
For additional questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Classification Title: Research Assistant
- Appointment Type: Professional and Scientific
- Schedule: Full-time
This job has expired.
- Organization: Healthcare
- Contact Name: Michaela Davis
- Contact Email: Michaelaemail@example.com