We are excited to welcome into our Auditorium family a dynamic team member who can uphold the beauty and reputation of IU Auditorium. Known for its presentation of a wide variety of events from the latest popular concerts and Broadway attractions to university ceremonies and conference events, IU Auditorium is a 3,200-seat proscenium venue that has been a model of campus and community programming and engagement since it opened in 1941.
Indiana University Auditorium is looking for a Service Attendant that will be responsible for assisting with all aspects of building custodial services, maintenance, and event set ups. This individual will work with the Service Maintenance team to manage supply inventory, purchasing, and supplier relationships. The Service Attendant will collaborate to ensure the upkeep of our world class facility.
Department Specific Responsibilities
- Assists in maintaining clean facilities and grounds.
- Ensures building is clean to health and safety standards.
- Supervises part-time Service Maintenance staff as well as external contractors.
- Manages supply inventory, purchasing, and supplier relationships.
- Consults and meets with sales representatives to purchase new service maintenance equipment, chemicals, and basic custodial supplies for the building/department.
- Executes event set ups, flips, and resets for all IU Auditorium spaces.
- Ensure that Auditorium owned equipment is kept in working order.
- Works with IU Facility Operations to ensure work orders are reviewed consistently and managed from entry to completion.
- Maintains records and logs of daily activities.
- Interacts with customers, clients, guests, artists, VIPs, and the public to ensure a positive experience.
- Interacts with customers, clients, guests, artists, VIPs, and the public; sets up and tears down events, including moving furniture; works with house management staff in scheduling for shows, receptions, and conferences.
- Manually dust mops, wet mops, and uses equipment to buff all hard surfaces including stairwells; strips and applies finish annually or as needed; maintains care and condition of carpet, floor, and upholstery including use of upright, large area, and backpack vacuums and carpet extractor, encapsulates and shampoos equipment to remove soil from all carpeted areas.
- Troubleshoots maintenance issues and initiates work requests.
- Cleans restrooms; empties all receptacles in facility and disposes in proper containers. Cleans and organizes storage areas; washes all wood, painted, and marble walls as needed; cleans and dusts all furniture; cleans all vents, using a hand duster, hand rails, and baseboards; removes snow and ice from walks and all exit areas.
- Re-lamps facility lighting, polishes brass. and cleans glass doors and mirrors
- Consults/meets with sales representatives to purchase new services maintenance equipment, chemicals, and basic custodial supplies for the building/department.
- High school diploma or GED
Combinations of related education and experience may be considered
- 1 year experience with event set up, cleaning and maintaining a large public venue
LICENSES AND CERTIFICATESRequired
- Possess a valid drive's license and ability to be insured by Indiana University Upon date of Hire
Working Conditions / Demands
- Ability to work in a safe and efficient manner
- Knowledge of floor care and building maintenance techniques
- Ability to follow safe work practices in biohazard and/or hazardous waste clean-up (i.e. blood borne pathogens; toxic, reactive, explosive and ignitable laboratory wastes, corrosive wastes from cleaning operations; other miscellaneous wastes from across campus); May involve training and tests in hazardous waste management
- Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools used to perform job duties
- Ability to operate the specific tools used in the area of expertise, including related tools and equipment such as vacuum, carpet extractor, carpet encapsulate, high and low speed buffers, floor scrubber, snow blower, leaf blower, wet vacs, power hand tools, high powered floor fans, salt spreader, non-powered hand tools, floor edger, pallet jack, man lift, broken light bulb extractor, light bulb pole changer, cleaning chemicals, all general cleaning tools, i.e. mops, brooms etc.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions
This role requires the ability to remain in a stationary position as well as the ability to move about the workplace for long durations. It requires effective communication, the ability to operate machinery, tools, and controls. The role requires the ability to ascend/descend ladders/stairs, and to position one's self in low level positions, detect a variety of chemicals and/or gases. The role requires the ability to ascend to rooftops and move in tight spaces to perform and complete inspections. The person in this role must be able to perform the essential functions with or without an accommodation.Work Location
Bloomington, IndianaWork Hours
This job often requires working on evenings, weekends, and holidays.Benefits Overview
For full-time staff employees, Indiana University offers a wide array of benefits including:
- Multiple plan options for medical insurance
- Dental insurance
- Health Savings Account with generous IU contribution
- Life insurance, LTD, and AD&D options
- Base retirement plan contribution from IU, subject to vesting
- Additional supplemental retirement plan options
- Tuition benefit for IU classes
- 10 paid holidays per year
- Generous Paid Time Off
- Paid Parental Leave
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
Learn more about our benefits by reviewing our online Benefits Brochure.Job Classification
Career Level: Foundational
Job Function: Operations
Job Family: Events
Click here to learn more about Indiana University's Job Framework.Posting Disclaimer
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, there may be differences in the working conditions as advertised in our standard job postings (e.g., the ability to travel from one campus to another, etc.). If you are invited for an interview, please discuss your questions or concerns regarding the working conditions at that time.
This posting is scheduled to close at 11:59 pm EST on the advertised Close Date. This posting may be closed at any time at the discretion of the University, but will remain open for a minimum of 5 business days. To guarantee full consideration, please submit your application within 5 business days of the Posted Date.
If you wish to include a cover letter, you may include it with your resume when uploading attachments.New employees will be provided with information regarding Indiana University's COVID-19 vaccine policy, which includes the opportunity to request an exemption. To learn more, view our COVID-19 vaccine information page.Equal Employment Opportunity
Indiana University is an equal employment and affirmative action employer and a provider of ADA services. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment based on individual qualifications. Indiana University prohibits discrimination based on age, ethnicity, color, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, disability status or protected veteran status. Indiana University does not discriminate on the basis of sex in its educational programs and activities, including employment and admission, as required by Title IX. Questions or complaints regarding Title IX may be referred to the U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights or the university Title IX Coordinator. See Indiana University's Notice of Non-Discrimination here which includes contact information.Campus Safety and Security
The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report, containing policy statements, crime and fire statistics for all Indiana University campuses, is available online. You may also request a physical copy by emailing IU Public Safety at firstname.lastname@example.org or by visiting IUPD.Contact Us
This job has expired.