Humana is a Fortune 60 market leader in integrated healthcare whose dream is to help people achieve lifelong well-being. As a company focused on the health and well-being of the people we serve, Humana starts from within, and is committed to providing progressive benefits that advance team members' careers and job satisfaction. Through offerings anchored in a whole-person view of human well-being, Humana embraces a focus on stimulating positive individual and population changes while nurturing a sense of security, enabling people to live life fully and be their most productive.
Against that backdrop, we are seeking a highly accomplished technology leader for the newly-created role of Software Architect Fellow (an AVP-equivalent position). This position will reside in our Digital Health & Analytics organization (DH&A). The Fellow provides technical advice, leadership, and guidance to the DH&A organization developing Humana's data platform, digital health platform, fueling the next generation of cloud-based health care analytics, machine learning, and integrated care delivery. These technology and analytics-driven solutions are at the core of our corporate strategy. In addition, the Fellow is expected to be active externally in various industry and trade groups, conferences, and forums, in order to position Humana as a recognized thought leader in the technology field, particularly in the area of AI/ML.
This position reports directly to the Vice President of Platform Innovation and Engineering.
For external candidates, our preferred locations are Dallas, Louisville, Boston, San Diego, and Campbell, CA (San Jose area). However, we will be happy to consider remote locations for exceptional candidates.
Key Candidate Qualifications
- Review overall technical direction in the light of business objectives and priorities
- Collaborate with engineering teams across DH&A and the enterprise to achieve combined success
- Research, evaluate, demonstrate, and recommend technology, tools, training, staffing, practices, and architecture to optimize organizational success
- Mentor individual architects, engineers and teams, promoting skills and practices to improve quality and productivity
- Develop white papers, presentations, demonstrations, tutorials, and other engineering communications
- Lead patent and other intellectual property protection efforts
- Advise management on strategic initiatives, including investments and acquisitions
The successful candidate will possess broad knowledge and perspective of the software and AI/ML industry, success factors, and business priorities. He/she will have extensive (typically 15+ years) developing large-scale distributed enterprise systems that are in successful production, including full stack AI/ML engineering expertise. In addition, this person will have experience with a wide variety of programming languages, platforms, tools, processes, and architectures, including cloud and microservices. A Bachelor's degree (ideally in a technology discipline) is required.
In addition to the above, the following technical qualifications and personal attributes are also sought:
Scheduled Weekly Hours
- Thorough grasp of the principles and design of scalable and sustainable large systems, and state-of-the-art tools and practices for implementing them
- Ability to understand, discuss, and solve technical problems, both simple and complex
- Knowledge of security and privacy, especially as it relates to health care data
- Ability to research and influence technical solutions for scalability and performance needs
- Proven ability to research and evaluate technologies, tools, practices, and partnership prospects, making balanced recommendations leading to a successful project portfolio
- A proven record of active involvement, including presentations and panel participation, in external conferences, trade shows, and other industry forums
- Excellent oral and written communications skills at all organizational levels, including the ability to skillfully convey technical concepts to non-technical audiences.
- The polish, poise, and executive presence to interact effectively with senior and executive level audiences internally and to represent Humana effectively externally.
- Ability to recognize own limits and seek expert advice when appropriate
- Current or recent experience in a large, highly matrixed company (i.e., Fortune 250), with proven ability to influence leaders and key stakeholders, and to develop a "followership", in such an environment
- A record of continuing education and professional development through conferences, workshops, training, etc.
- Advanced degree (Master's or Ph.D.) in a technology field would be valuable