The Boyd Supplier Quality Engineer is responsible for developing, maintaining and supporting supplier quality assurance efforts to ensure that products and services meet drawing and purchase order specification requirements for mechanical components and assemblies. Responsibilities include performing quality engineering tasks associated with supply chain quality assurance in support of new product introduction, current product supply chain maintenance, supplier oversight, and strategic supplier selection. This individual will review and provide input for supplier selection activities including supplier evaluation, quality systems audits, new purchase order supplier kick-offs and coordinating supplier process capability programs for new and current production components, assemblies, and special processes.
- Develop quality plans for new product introduction that include general and by part number PO flow downs, FAIs, Source Inspections, supplier production sample inspections, incoming inspection plans, etc.
- Evaluate and make recommendations on critical supplier selections and drives supplier continuous improvement processes
- Work with suppliers to ensure that they understand contract compliance, engineering documentation, FAI process, nonconformance process, RCCA process, workmanship standards, etc.
- Develop suppliers to assure successful achievement of Boyd supplier quality metrics.
- Lead on-site audits, evaluate prototypes, and review and approve supplier corrective actions
- Review and Approve supplier first article inspections
- Work with shop floor management to identify failure modes and drive supplier improvement.
- Ensure timely processing of any product non-conformances found at incoming inspection.
- Identify and eliminate cost of quality drivers including scrap and rework within manufacturing.
- Certify supplier processes for critical parts by ensuring adequate process control plans, inspection plans and Process of Record baselines
- Partner with service team to participate in failure analysis activities, compile data and reduce product failure modes.
- Drive CAPA associated with poor product quality through the supply chain to insure that any findings or non-conformances are addressed quickly.
- Summarize and present product quality data to management team on a monthly basis.
- Define inspection processes, requirements, frequency and sampling internally and through sub-tier.
- Drive improvements at key and critical suppliers to insure high quality incoming materials.
- Provide support to incoming inspection department.
- Willing to travel up to 10% domestic and international when required.
- Advocate for lean, 6S and safety.
- Supports Rohs/REACH/TSCA compliance activity.
- As a member of the Boyd team, perform additional duties as required.
Basic Qualifications (including education and experience required)
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering or related technical field and a minimum of 5 years of appropriate industry experience
- Proficient technical expertise and knowledge including precision machining of components, sheet metal fabrication, component special processes.
- Proficient with ISO 9000 / AS9100 Standards, 6 Sigma tools, Statistics.
- Ability to read blue prints and understand industry and military specifications.
- Excellent interpersonal, negotiation, communication, writing and computer skills.
- Audit experience on ISO 9001 or AS9100 standards.
- Possess the judgment necessary to present recommendations for action to others when decisions are outside responsibility.
Results oriented with the drive necessary to continuously look for ways to improve the effectiveness of operations, processes, procedures or services.
Persistent and relentless when pursuing solutions to problems.
Critical analytical thinker who applies logic and sound reasoning to determine the facts of the situation and identify root cause.
Creative thinker who will develop creative approaches to problems.
- Ability to communicate effectively when speaking and writing so that others can understand a situation and take appropriate action.
- Demonstrates the honesty and integrity required to do the right thing while adhering to strongly held principles and values.
The Supplier Quality Engineer plays a key role within the Boyd organization. The Supplier Quality Engineer is a member of the Quality team reporting to the Quality Manager.