If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet.
The Department of Perioperative Services has an exciting opportunity for a Per Diem Surgical Technician 2 to work at the Coral Gables Campus. The Surgical Technician 2 accounts for the instruments and equipment used during surgical procedures and maintains a sterile field during surgical procedures. The incumbent demonstrates competency and proficiency in the use of equipment and instruments for all surgical procedures that are performed within the department.
CORE JOB FUNCTIONS
This list of duties and responsibilities is not intended to be all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties or responsibilities as necessary.MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS Education:
- Prepares the surgical suite, ensuring environmental safety for the patient and personnel.
- Demonstrates a surgical conscience by practicing aseptic technique.
- Maintains a neat and organized sterile field.
- Labels medications and solutions on the surgical field.
- Returns instruments to the workroom for decontamination and returns unused supplies and instruments to their designated areas.
- Participates in the stocking of sub sterile rooms and picks up the supplies for the next day.
- Maintains complete confidentiality of all medical, financial, and employee information, and other sensitive materials.
- Demonstrates orientation towards service excellence by conducting daily activities, communications, and interactions in a cooperative, positive, and professional manner.
- Cleans and sterilizes surgical instruments and assists with inventory and ordering of supplies for the surgery center.
- Adheres to University and unit-level policies and procedures and safeguards University assets.
High School diploma or equivalentCertification and Licensing:
Certification in relevant specialty or field
Minimum 3 years of relevant experienceDepartment Specific FunctionsA. Case Preparation:
- Selects appropriate surgeon preference card(s) for assigned cases. If not available, prepares one at completion of case.
- For GI cases, assists with delegated tasks of direct and indirect patient care under the supervision of the RN and/or Physicians in Endoscopy.
- The endoscopy tech is responsible for the care, handling, and processing of endoscopy procedural equipment and turnover of the procedure rooms.
- Verifies case cart completion and/or initiates timely collection of appropriate supplies/ instruments as directed by nursing personnel.
- Assures room cleanliness and assists with Preparation of assigned operating room in a timely and efficient manner.
- Adheres to established sterilization policies and procedures as evidenced by ability to identify implement appropriate sterilization of equipment and/or supplies.
- Inspects all items for integrity and sterility prior to use. Opens and dispenses sterile instruments and supplies in accordance with established Aseptic Technique policy and procedure.
- Prepares for and performs surgical hand scrub according to established policy and procedure.
- Dons sterile gown gloves according to established policy and procedure.
- Practices and ensures cost-effective measures are maintenance while preparing for surgical procedure.
- Demonstrates ability to implement principles of aseptic technique in a variety of circumstances and in accordance with established Aseptic Technique policy and procedure.
- Prepares sterile areas in an organized, timely and efficient manner.
- Maintains endoscopic instruments and accessories in working order.
- Trouble shoot and recognize malfunctions. Maintains appropriate, professional interpersonal relationships as observed by supervisory personnel.
- The technician must demonstrate knowledge of the principle of growth and development of the life span and appropriately interpret information relative to the patient's age-specific needs.
- Performs initial and all subsequent sponge, needle/sharps, and instrument counts according to established policy and procedure.
- Anticipates needs of surgeon / assistants as evidenced by advance knowledge and preparation of pertinent instrumentation and/or supplies.
- Exhibits quick, efficient, and purposeful manual in the preparation and passing of sterile instruments and/or supplies.
- Attentive to case progression and interprets hand signals as evidenced by anticipating surgical team needs.
- Cares for and identifies all surgical specimens according to established policy and procedure.
- Demonstrates ability to perform scrub responsibilities in all appropriate surgical specialties.
- Accurately identifies and labels all medications used on the sterile field as evidenced by Adherence to established policy and procedure.
- At the completion of the surgical procedure, demonstrate knowledge of accountability for and decontamination of soiled instruments as evidence by adherence to established protocol.
- Assists, as necessary, with activities related to the cleaning of operating rooms and ancillary areas according to established Sanitation Policy and Procedure.
- Participates in hospital risk management program by reporting all unusual occurrences according to policy.
- Demonstrates safe and correct restraint procedures in accordance with hospital policy.
- Attends departmental and / or unit-based meetings or acknowledges review of note/ minutes on a weekly basis.
- Adheres to established policy/procedure on Sanitation, Infection Control and Standard Precautions in the performance of assigned responsibilities.
- Initiates and/or assists with daily restocking and maintenance of assigned operating rooms in a timely and efficient manner.
- Receptive to constructive criticism and responds in a positive manner as observed by supervisory personnel.
- Demonstrates knowledge of & observes decontamination principles as evidenced by adherence to established protocol.
- Meets expectation of department calls & overtime responsibilities.
- Performs miscellaneous duties as assigned.
- Comply with the employee Code of Ethics and Standards of Behavior.
- Attend mandatory educational programs and annual in-services. Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned by supervisor.
Any appropriate combination of relevant education, experience and/or certifications may be considered.
- Recognizes & is an advocate of team concept.
- Adheres to HIPPA compliance and maintains patient confidentiality.
- Exhibits an understanding of the roles and responsibilities of team members and recognizes individuals for their contributions.
- Contributes to the enhancement of group effectiveness by enhancing information, collaborating with the other team members, and providing constructive feedback.
- Attends all unit-based education and in-services of chosen surgical specialties.
- Utilizes supplies & equipment judiciously.
- Acts as preceptors for surgical technologists & other ancillary personnel as assigned.
- Proficient in all services.
The University of Miami offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, tuition remission and more.
UHealth-University of Miami Health System, South Florida's only university-based health system, provides leading-edge patient care powered by the ground breaking research and medical education at the Miller School of Medicine. As an academic medical center, we are proud to serve South Florida, Latin America and the Caribbean. Our physicians represent more than 100 specialties and sub-specialties, and have more than one million patient encounters each year. Our tradition of excellence has earned worldwide recognition for outstanding teaching, research and patient care. We're the challenge you've been looking for.
Patient safety is a top priority. As a result, during the Influenza ("the flu") season (September through April), the University Of Miami Miller School Of Medicine requires all employees who provide ongoing services to patients, work in a location (all Hospitals and clinics) where patient care is provided, or work in patient care or clinical care areas, to have an annual influenza vaccination. Failure to meet this requirement will result in rescinding or termination of employment.
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.Job Status:
Part timeEmployee Type:
This job has expired.