Qualified candidates with a minimum of two years of experience are eligible for a sign-on bonus up to $12,500
The University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics Department of Nursing is seeking a Staff Nurse (RN) for the Lower Level Short Stay Unit (LL JCP).
The unit features 30 private patient rooms and is designed to care for patients admitted to UIHC under observation or recovery level of care, with a focus on timely treatment. The Lower Level Short Stay Unit is a new construction unit planned to open in April 2023 as part of UIHC's Medical Surgical Services (MSS) Division.
The diverse patient population cared for on this unit will include both medical and surgical patient populations (currently admitted to Short Stay & Medical Observation) who are typically admitted to the hospital for an estimated 24-48 hour stay. Patient diagnoses frequently treated as medical observation include but are not limited to chest pain, abdominal pain, back pain, and syncope. Surgical recovery patients include a variety of procedures under the care of the following services: orthopedics, urology, plastics and cardiology, among others. We rely on teamwork to provide high quality and compassionate care as we provide patients the necessary care and education for them to make a safe transition home following their short stay in the hospital.
A Staff Nurse will assess patients' nursing care needs, evaluate effectiveness of care provided, and integrate nursing theory and research into clinical practice.
Characteristic Duties of our Staff Nurses include but are not limited to:
- Applies nursing theory to the assessment, diagnosis, treatment, and evaluation of patient responses to health and illness.
- Assesses patient health care preferences and expectations.
- Collaboratively coordinates the continuum of care across settings.
- Develops patient care plan based on patient condition, age, and psychological, educational, and socioeconomic conditions that prescribes interventions to attain expected outcomes.
- Implements patient care plan according to patient priorities, which includes interventions identified through nursing diagnoses. Documents/reports interventions and patient/family response.
- Collaborates and integrates contributions of patients and families into multidisciplinary patient care plan.
- Develops, coordinates and implements transfer/discharge planning throughout episode of care.
- Implements nursing interventions according to department, division, and/or unit policies, procedures, and protocols to maintain safe environment for patients, visitors and staff. Follows universal precautions.
University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics-recognized as one of the best hospitals in the United States-is Iowa's only comprehensive academic medical center and a regional referral center. Each day more than 12,000 employees, students, and volunteers work together to provide safe, quality health care and excellent service for our patients. Simply stated, our mission is: Changing Medicine. Changing Lives.® Percent of Time:
60% (24 hours/month) Schedule:
Friday-Sunday Nights, Holidays when fall on weekend(s) Location:
UIHC, John Colloton Pavilion (LL JCP) SEIU Pay Plan:
- Regular salaried position located in Iowa City, Iowa
- Fringe benefit package including paid vacation; sick leave; health, dental, life and disability insurance options; and generous employer contributions into retirement plans - Click here for details
- For more information about Why Iowa?, click here
- To hear what our staff have to say about our MSS division click here
- An Associate's Degree in Nursing, a Diploma in Nursing, a Baccalaureate Degree in Nursing, Professional Masters of Nursing and Healthcare Practice (MNHP), MSN/Clinical Nurse Leader or a Master's Degree in Nursing (MSN, MA) is required
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required
- Demonstrates excellent interpersonal skills with patients/families, nursing staff, and interdisciplinary team members as demonstrated through written and verbal interactions
- General computer skills are required, including proficiency in managing multiple databases including Microsoft Excel
- Current license to practice nursing in Iowa is required by date of hire
- Baccalaureate Degree in Nursing is highly desired
- If Baccalaureate degree in Nursing is not yet obtained, active enrollment in a BSN program is desirable
This posting is for multiple openings and will be posted for 90 calendar days. At the end of the 90-day posting period, candidates may reapply to be considered for additional openings. Successful candidates will be required to self-disclose any conviction history and will be subject to a criminal background check and credential/education verification. Up to 5 professional references will be requested at a later step in the recruitment process. If you have any questions please reach out to Kyle Fountain at firstname.lastname@example.org
This position is not eligible for University sponsorship for employment authorization.
- Classification Title: Staff Nurse
- Appointment Type: SEIU
- Schedule: Part-time
This job has expired.
- Organization: Healthcare
- Contact Name: Kyle Fountain
- Contact Email: email@example.com